Victim/Witness Information

There are certain offenses for which restitution may be ordered in a case.  Victims of a crime are often contacted first by the U.S. Attorney's Office during the investigation, and sometimes a victim witness advocate will assist them throughout the prosecution and court process.  Once a defendant is convicted, either by a jury trial or plea, the Probation Office also contacts the victims to confirm the losses, determine whether they have been compensated, solicit victim impact statements which may be provided to the Court on their behalf, and discuss whether restitution can be ordered as part of the sentencing.   

Victims may also find information relative to the Bureau of Prisons Victims and Witness Notification Program here: